Friday, April 20, 2012

Compendium of Curiosities 2: Challenge #2

Hello! Since I was horribly late in completing the first challenge, I wanted to get a head start on the second CC2C that Linda posted this morning.

This challenge is all about Tim's Faux Patina technique, which you can find in his new book. :) Linda shared a beautiful bracelet as well as a gorgeous canvas that her friend made with the same technique. Interested? Just head over to the Studio L3 blog for more details on how you can participate!

For my entry in the challenge, I decided to alter a lovely little glass jar that I found in an antique store. I decided to do this versus a tag, ATC, or canvas merely because the Faux Patina technique made me think of the recent photos that surfaced earlier this week from the Titanic.  I guess my inspiration is a little macabre, but I just thought this little bottle is one of the kinds of things you may find in the famous ship's wreckage.


I can't share Tim's technique, but I can tell you that I used black tulle, Claudine Helmuth's Studio Gloss, Perfect Pearls, and lots of Distress Crackle Paint to create an aged, weathered look around most of my bottle. I wish my flowers and ball chain had more of that Faux Patina look; guess I'll have to try this again! :)



Thanks for looking! Now, I'm going to clean house ... my dear friend Lisa is visiting me this week from Oregon. She's signed up for my class tomorrow along with a weekend full of fun in the Emerald City! I hope you all have a wonderful weekend as well ... till then, take care and happy crafting to you!
                                     

                                       

18 comments:

Sandra said...

Wow you're fast with this one! Love it! Looks like a very old bottle. Gorgeous!

Suzanne Bouchard said...

I love your alered bottle. It looks like an attic treasure. I like the tulle very much.

Sandy said...

Wow!!!! This looks like an antique - really gorgeous!!!!
Sandy

ann said...

OH WOWSER !!! I am so loving this bottle, it really has a wonderful aged look !!!

Janna said...

Hey that's really cool! I love it!! Have a blast at your class, I bet you are soooo excited!

Carol said...

Love your take on this technique, it looks so vintage.

Carol said...

Love your take on this technique, it looks so vintage.

Shelly Hickox said...

I love how your bottle turned out!! Very cool - one of the best altered bottles I've seen!

Sue said...

That is VERY cool, Maria! I have a green bottle sitting here that I may have to try this on.

Michele said...

Maria, soo yummy I want one, the altered bottle so vintage.

Linda Ledbetter said...

Here you are making magic again, Maria! What a wonderful approach to the Faux Patina-- there's just something really special about antique glass, and you've taken it to a whole new level. Bravo, my dear!!!

Shelann said...

The panting is great and looks like the flowers came from the same time period as the bottle, a treasure dug up in an old barn or so.

annes paperfun said...

Wow!!! This is stunning!!!
LOVE IT ♥♥♥
I have to make some of this one day :o) ...
Your work is aMaZing!!!
I'm working on this challenge now...not finished yet :o))

Carol said...

Love the bottle idea: stunning!!!!

Carol said...

Your bottle is so good and the way you've altered it.

Marjie Kemper said...

This is totally gorgeous! Love the patina and that little tag... too cool!

Terry said...

Beautiful altered bottle! Love that luscious flower!

Anonymous said...

Your bottle is stunning!