Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Toilet Paper Roll Mini Book

A little while back, I did a search on crafty paper projects using everyday objects, and I found a few photos and tutorials of mini books made from toilet paper rolls. They were so adorable! I got inspired and decided to make one for my cousin Liz. I loved how hers turned out so much, that I just had to make one for myself! Here's how ...

First, I flattened the toilet paper roll by smooshing it under a bunch of my paper. I then cut it along the two scored lines, resulting in two pieces. The next step was deciding whether to keep the shape as is, or to cut it. I decided to use my Sizzix Scallop Combo #2 tags; a "prize" I obtained from an earlier covert op to Michaels. These dies are absolutely lovely ... unlike a regular tag that's rather square and boxy, these ones have beautiful scalloped tops that add quite a bit of charm and elegance, not to mention, a sure-proof way to get perfectly scalloped tags every time you cut.

I decided to use the TP roll as the front and back of my album, and cut a few pieces of cardstock and gorgeous Graphic 45 "On The Boardwalk" paper using the same die. I cut some fishies out of a piece of paper and applied glossy accents to them ... what a cool effect!

To tie everything together, I used one of the ball and chain sets from Tim Holtz. These are a must if you enjoy making mini books and other whimsical crafts. They're also quite inexpensive - I believe a set of 15 (5 ball/chain combos in copper, nickel, and brushed metal) cost me about $4. Not bad!

Here's a handful of pages from my mini book:








Supplies:

Sizzix - Scallop Tag die
Tim Holtz - Idea-ology - Ball Chain
Graphic 45 - On The Boardwalk paper
Tim Holtz Distress Ink - Broken China

1 comment:

Alibaba said...

Oh beautiful mini book !