Wednesday, August 3, 2011

$1 Coach bag!

Ever since I got bit by the craft bug, I've wanted to make my boss something crafty, but couldn't settle on what I wanted to make her. At first, it was a photo frame with some embellies on it. Then it was a purse-shaped album. I kicked all these ideas around and kinda let it go for a while, as I wanted to make sure whatever I made her, that it was something well-thought and something specific to her interests.

On my craft table, I've had a growing number of cardboard objects just piling up. Toilet paper rolls, a taco shell box, a Saltine cracker box, and a cake mix box that cost $1. I looked at that cake box one day and the idea came. A Coach bag made from cardboard! You see, my boss LOVES Coach handbags, and I figure one more wouldn't hurt. ;) I figured it would be a glorified coupon holder - so it would actually have some function to it. 

Before the idea came to me, I had bought a piece of October Afternoon paper from Paper Mermaids that just spoke to me. It was this light green paper with flourishes on it, and while I didn't have a specific project in mind, I knew I had to have it. Well, that paper turned out to look just like the kind of design you'd see on a handbag, so it was the first thing I grabbed for to make the purse. To make the purse as realistic as possible, I went on the Coach website and searched for a few different handbag styles to make. I drew three sketches and ended up choosing a style that I could totally see my boss sporting. I then cut open the box and lined the inside of the purse with light green cardstock, and saved extra cardstock as trim for the outside of the purse. To hold everything together, I used Claudine Helmuth Studio gloss, which bound the cardstock rather quickly to the cardboard. While I don't use the studio gloss very much, when I do, I'm always impressed because the paper feels so attached. 

I used some gold cardstock as accents for the strap, as well as for the tags. I used a Spellbinders die to create the main label patch, which I used for both the inside and outside of the bag. I used the same die to hold the straps to both sides of the purse. As for the tags, I stamped the word "Coach" using versamark ink and embossed it using Ranger "seafoam white" powder. I created another tag and used glossy accents and then Tim Holtz fragments to create a more authentic look. 

I was so excited to give Jody the handbag that instead of just leaving it for her to find, I spilled the beans and told her I had something for her. (I always seem to ruin surprises at work.) I had so much fun making the handbag that I may have to make my own someday!



Supplies:

October Afternoon - 5 & Dime paper - Jawbreakers
Spellbinders Label 11 die
Gold cardstock
Tim Holtz - Idea-ology - Ball Chain
Martha Stewart Custom Stamp Set
Sizzix Scallop Tag

No comments: